Tuesday 8 May 2012

Who care's?

For most people at some point in their life this is a difficult question to answer (mostly in teenage hood ;) ), for looked after children and care leavers it is the hardest question to ask ourselves at many points in our lives.

I spent many years not knowing who cared, not feeling like my voice meant anything, that I was asked questions not because they wanted to know the answers but to tick the boxes.

Over the weekend I felt overwhelmed by myself and the stories the other care leavers had shared at the Buttle UK conference on the Friday.

I had to chair a panel of three care leavers and I have got to say it was the hardest thing I have done. Not only did I have to stay professional (a role I have only been in for the last 5 months) but also support the young strong woman with them sharing their experiences while knowing exactly what they were talking about.

It was made harder by feeling so
emotional after Lisa Cherry has shared her experience... A strong woman and a true inspiration... Which can be said about the three girls on my panel too... I spent so much of the afternoon nodding my head in recognition of how I have felt and what I have had to face.

It shocked me that even though I had not shared much about myself each of the young girls came and thanked me
for being there and inspiring them... I had to admit to them that they were the inspiration to me, they were doing things better than I had at their age, I felt and still feel overwhelmingly proud of each and every one of them that shared on the day.

The same goes to every care leaver and looked after child I have worked with along my journey, and also those who I have not met, to be here on this earth is something to be proud of. I know the importance of having someone to talk to, to open up to or even simply to know they want you to have success in life... I want every care leaver and looked after child to know that I CARE and so do so many other people. It's hard to see this sometimes... I am a voice for you, and if you want something voiced then tell me... I can be the strong person for you to be able to share because it's a difficult thing to do... And 9/10 I will want to voice about the same thing :)

So to the answer the question... Who care's? I know I do... That's one person..and that matters.


Lisa Cherrys Blog can be found using the following link: http://www.lisacherry.co.uk/passionate-ramblings/


3 comments:

  1. Carrie, I saw you at the Buttle UK event and you chaired the panel brilliantly. The three panel members were amazing young women who had been through such a lot and yet were still surviving and moving forward through education. Thank you for helping them to share their stories with us. There was no-one else in that room who could have done it, because you understood them and they trusted you.

    And thanks for starting the blog, I'm going to send a lot of people here to read what you write so that they will understand too, and will be able to offer that care and support.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You Jenny, It really does mean alot. Next time you see me introduce youself :)

      Delete
    2. I will! :) I should be over at Hallam in the next few weeks, I'll pop in.

      Delete

Comment?